What is gift chicago?
Gift Chicago is a grassroots, collaborative promotional campaign for locally owned shops in Chicago that offer gift-able products. Through pooled resources, we hope to do more than any one shop could do alone to promote shopping local during the holiday season, to cross-promote among like-minded shops, and to provide a directly of locally-owned shops to locals and visitors to Chicago. Gift Chicago is organized by the shop owner of Neighborly, Jenny Beorkrem, and Kate Merena, former shop owner of Sacred Art.
To qualify to participate in Gift Chicago, the shop:
- must be located within the city limits of Chicago
- must be locally owned and operated (Chicago and suburbs)
- offer types of merchandise that are commonly purchased for gifts.
If you are new to Gift Chicago, welcome! If you are returning, Hi again! This year’s Gift Chicago promotion will shift to a primarily online and social media presence with the following efforts:
1. An online directory of all locally owned gift-appropriate stores (including non-participants), available on giftchicago.com as a resource for shoppers
2. Ask shoppers to pledge to buy at least five of their gifts at locally owned stores this holiday season (shoppers can also choose to pledge to buy half or all their gifts locally). Shoppers who take the pledge will be asked to post an image (thumbnails below) on their social media. If they do so using the hashtag #giftchicago, they will be entered into a raffle for the Gift Chicago Prize Package. The Prize Package will include gift cards and merchandise provided by you, local shops.
3. Assemble a Gift Chicago Gift Guide featuring gifts from locally owned shops posted online, in an email newsletter, and through social media channels. Will also be sent to local influencers.
4. Further marketing efforts will be pursued if funds allow.
We’re offering multiple levels of participation to shops this year ranging from Free to $75. Shops that choose a Boosted or All-star Listing MUST contribute a prize to the Gift Chicago Prize Package (see above for details regarding the giveaway).
ALL of your participation fee is spent on the Gift Chicago campaign. The more we raise, the wider our promotional reach will be. Also, the more we can include in the Prize Package, the more enticing it will be for shoppers to take the social media pledge to enter to win!
Free text-only store listing online, up to 25 words + address + phone.
Slightly Better Listing ($10)
Includes all of the above plus a link to the store website and social handles.
Boosted Listing ($40 + contribute gift card or products of at least $50 in value to the Prize Package)
- Boosted listings appear with a large photo above the text-only listings
(reference current giftchicago.com homepage for examples).
- have their own shop profile webpage on giftchicago.com that includes up to 250 words and 8 photos
- included in the online map
- free 10-inch “Shop Local” window decal
- up to 250 free Gift Chicago gift tags to hand out to customers, read “This gift was thoughtfully purchased from a locally owned, independent business in Chicago”
- at least one social media post on giftchicago channels specifically about your shop
Sign up below.
All Star Listing ($75 + contribute gift card or products of at least $75 in value to the Prize Package)
- ALL the benefits of the Boosted Listing
- shoppers can opt-in to your shop’s email updates to earn an additional raffle entry through giftchicago.com. Email contacts will be provided to you at end of the raffle period (around Dec. 19th).
- 5 social media posts on giftchicago channels specifically about your shop
Sign up below.
(Deadline has passed for inclusion in the Gift Guide)… the hard deadline to sign up for a Boosted or All Star listing is Nov 17th.
One sign up per shop location required.
For Boosted and All-Star listings, once you've finished signing up, please remember to email the following to email@example.com:
- (new participants) up to 8 shop photos for your listing that are roughly 900px in width (any height)
Mail or arrange drop off of your Prize Package contribution by Nov 19th to:
1801 W Warner Ave, Ste 100
Chicago IL 60613
Questions? Contact Jenny at Neighborly